THE PALLET THAT TURNS INTO A SHELF FOR HERBS. SO YOU CAN ALWAYS HAVE CHIVES, ETC. ON HAND
Lunch is ready. Just missing one last thing; a pinch of herbs. Sure, frozen herbs are fine. But let's face it: Fresh herbs are the best, aren’t they? With this handy shelf for herbs you always have your favourite types handy.
Creating your own herb garden is easy!
Currently, furniture made with pallets are trendy. They are beautiful, easy to build and inexpensive. Why not create an herb garden with this material? The children can help. You wonder where you can find it? It couldn't be simpler: ask a shipping company for wooden pallets. You can find herbs at your nearest Lidl; and now let's proceed.
- One euro pallet
- Sandpaper or sanding machine
- 3 wood boards (length of pallet)
- 2 smaller wood boards (length: 40 cm, width: 15 cm)
- Hammer and nails
- Paint for wood in your choice of colour and a brush
- Anti-weed cloth/film
- Herbs from you nearest Lidl (basil, chives, parsley ...)
Proceed like this:
- Carefully sand the wood to avoid you and the children getting splinters.
- Once everything is smooth as a baby’s behind, place the pallet vertically. At the bottom of the pallet, use nails to attach the long board that will be the bottom shelf.
- As yet, the structure is not yet very stable. To stabilize it you need the two smaller boards - nail them to the right and left of the lower shelf so they are the same height in the front and back.
- Do you like this natural colour? Then protect the shelf with wood treatment oil. Or if you prefer, brush on some protective lacquer for wood in the colour of your choice. Let it dry thoroughly.
- To prevent the wood rotting over time, cover tops of shelves with anti-weed plastic and attach it with tacks or velcro.
- Distribute some gravel: this helps drainage to prevent herbs having their roots in water. Add soil and plant the herbs.
Your garden will be even more decorative if you cover the walls with plastic wrap and write the names of herbs with a piece of chalk. Perfect! Now you can observe your miniature plantation. Maybe you can even keep it in the kitchen, on the terrace or the balcony - your new garden furniture made with a pallet is an attention getter and what’s more, your herbs are protected against annoying snails.
What a smell! Why don't you prepare scrambled eggs with some fresh chives? Both the eggs and the herbs are waiting for you at Lidl, and they’re both fresh! Or maybe you already got them the last time you did the shopping?